Physicians can call (352) 265-8940 to make a referral the to Lung Transplant Center. The initial consultation in the Lung Failure Clinic is prioritized so the sickest patients can be expedited through the process. After referral, patients begin the evaluation process.
Criteria for Lung Transplant Candidates
- End-Stage Lung Disease with life expectancy less than 24-months
- Younger than 74-years-old
- Complete smoking/tobacco abstinence for at least 6-months
- BMI of 30 or less, and acceptable nourishment
- No other major organ dysfunction
- If history of cancer, must be at least 3-years post-therapy
When to Refer Patients
- COPD – When FEV1 is less than 25% of predicted.
- Cystic Fibrosis – When FEV1 is less than 30% of predicted.
- Pulmonary Fibrosis – Refer when pulmonary function is abnormal (FVC below 60%), even if patient is minimally symptomatic.
- Pulmonary Hypertension – When symptomatic, progressive disease in spite of optimal medical therapy (to include IV Flolan).
What’s Needed to Refer a Patient
- PFTs, CXR and/or Chest CT
- History/Physical within past 12-months
- Current height and weight
- Smoking history and cessation date/year
- Any other applicable testing (Sputum culture for CT patients, Echo, Cardiac Cath, recent bloodwork)